Skip to main content

Book Review: The Guns of August

I recently read The Guns of August by the late Barbara W. Tuchman. It’s a book that I have always wanted to read, since this Pulitzer Prize-winning narrative history book has been read and reviewed glowingly by so many history fans!  How many history books written in the early 1960s are still talked about in such glowing terms? Not many, that’s for sure.

world war i, the guns of august, Barbara W Tuchman,


See it on Amazon: https://amzn.to/4eKM1cJ

By way of overview, The Guns of August provides a detailed, dramatic account of the prelude to and the opening month of World War I, tracking the diplomatic failures and ultimately the military maneuvers of August 1914 up to the first battle of the Marne.  

Tuchman opens the book with the 1910 funeral of King Edward VII, which served as a grand gathering of Europe's royalty and masked the underlying geopolitical rivalries. The men and women that would soon be lined up against each other in the trenches, visited London for the funeral.  Its amazing to think it was just 4 years from Edward VII’s funeral in 1910 to 1914 and the end of a European Age.  

Despite the mournful faces of the European monarchs, the Great Powers were well into preparations for war.  Europe simmered with resentments from past wars, perceived lack of respect, and maneuvered for control of the continent. In fact, many already took the view that war was inevitable.  Tuchman does a great job breaking down the rigid military doctrines of the powers, particularly Germany's Schlieffen Plan and France's offensive-heavy Plan XVII. The British had never really settled on anything other than control of seas, and the Russians? Well, the Russians were too far gone to legitimately build a coherent strategy capable of execution.

When it finally comes to the last attempts to avert the looming crisis, I couldn’t help but feel how pointless it all was.  There was no great injustice being fought over, nothing worth the inferno that was about to erupt.  

Tuchman goes on to cover the first 30 days of combat on the Western and Eastern Fronts, the rapid invasion of Germany from the east by a poorly prepared and led but brave Russian army, the great flanking movement through Belgium by the German Army that pushed the French to the outskirts of Paris.   In fact, the narrative concludes just as the German advance toward Paris is halted at the First Battle of the Marne, paving the way for four years of grueling trench warfare.

If you are interested in getting into the history of World War I then I definitely recommend this book. Obviously, this is only really about why and how the war started and the initial fighting in 1914. You will need to look to something else to fill in the rest of the war and the post-war period. Regardless, The Guns of August is a truly remarkable book.

Looking for more World War I history? Check out my review of Dead Wake which is about the sinking of the Lusitania by the Germans.


Publication date: August 2004 | Publisher: Presidio Press| Page Count:  640


Great Source for Buying Books:

    I often buy new books at a very good price from Book Outlet. As I understand it, Book Outlet sells overstock books received directly from new bookstores.  You can find a broad range of genres, publication dates as well as soft covers and hardcover.

    If you are interested in checking out Book Outlet, please follow my link. I don't get paid for referrals, but I can earn credits that are applicable to my own book orders. Help me read and review books so that you can avoid things or find things that are up your alley!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Empire of the Summer Moon

I recently completed Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynne.   This isn't a new work, originally published back in 2011 by Scribner, but it was a new to me book. One of the great things about history is that if well done, they generally have a pretty good shelf life.      And this one is well done. Gwynne is known to be one of the best popular or narrative history writers, and I enjoyed his treatment of the Commanche's and their conflicts with the European powers and the encroaching settlers immensely.   This is a compelling read that is fast moving, and sucks you in as well as any novel. Buy it on Amazon:  https://amzn.to/4e7GVac      The work covers the historic rise of the Comanche's, their origins, their move into buffalo country and adoption of a militaristic horse culture, as well as their conflicts with the Spanish and Frenc...

Book Review: Endurance, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

I recently read Endurance by Alfred Lansing. And to be honest, I was under the impression that I was the only one not to have read this famous account of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s 1914–1917 (disastrous) Imperial Trans‑Antarctic Expedition. But I have since learned there are many people who haven't picked this one up, and if you are one of those people who have not read Endurance then you definitely should.        A couple of things I would mention before getting into this review.  First, the book was originally published in 1959. And if you are worried that the language might be old timey or stuffy or whatever, don't be too concerned. This one is extremely well written and reads like it could be written this year. So definitely not old timey.       Second, Lansing was close enough to events to have had the chance to talk and discuss the events with at least some of the crew. I can't remember now if he talked to all of them or not. An...

My Thoughts on The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Spoiler Free)

I finally read a Cormac McCarthy novel. I was at the library looking for books with my 14 year old daughter, primarily books for her.  The library is one of the main theatres of battle in my ongoing military campaign to keep her from spending all of her time on screens.  Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Patton?  They have no idea.  Buy it on Amazon: https://amzn.to/4vuHDVW Anyway, I have always seen book readers discuss and recommend Cormac McCarthy novels and The Road was on the shelf, which surprised me somewhat. Our small branch library usually has few good books, since most people generally rely on holds to get what they want. So, I grabbed the copy for myself.  Since this was my first (and so far only) McCarthy read, I was surprised how short the book was and how sparse was the writing style. I really had no expectations going into this, and I generally start with the assumption that I am getting into the next War and Peace.  But The Road is nothing like...